Sunday, April 17, 2011

Special Night...

This evening, my aunt called to ask us to go for dinner at Mega Hotel since she had extra tickets. When we reached at the venue, my first thing to see is ' Wao.. So many Indians!!' Not that I never see Indians before but just that it's been a while I didn't see so many Indians at one time since I'm back from KL.

I never think that Miri got so many Indians as more than half of the hall is full with Indians sitting at the table of ten. It's like 'wao' to me. Tonight event is organised by Miri Indian Association. The Indians are celebrating their Indian New Year. It's quite new for me since I never been to Indian festival. Celebrating their new year is my first time.

After the performance of dancing and singing, there is a lighting ceremony. It's the beginning of the event. This is my first time attending this kind of dinner. During this dinner, there are a lot of activities and performance. Besides the lucky draw, there are also singing and dancing. There are some guys playing the Indian instruments. The most special part is where there are some kids and youngsters become models to show us the traditional clothes of Indians. There are quite a number of clothes.

For me, tonight is a special night as this is my first time and I can see how the Indians celebrate their new year. I never think that Indians also got new year same like Chinese and Malays as I thought they just celebrate Deepavali. I think I'm the frog that sit in the well that never jump out from the well and always think that the world is as big as the well.. Short-minded I am.

There are many types of Indians just like Chinese. The new year they have is different too.

Indian New Year
VIshu (Kerala) Baisakhi (Punjab) Puthandu (Tamil Nadu) Ugadi (Karnataka & Andhra Pradesh) Gudi Padva (Maharashtra) Naba Barsha (Bengal) Aluth Avurudhu (Sri Lanka) Vaishakha (Bihar) Nau Roz (Kashmir) Goru Bihu (Assam)

No comments: